Friday 3 April 2009

Cumbernauld Hit and the Underpass


This term has been my most successful so far in terms of professional development. As well as the experience of organising a work for the mezzanine exhibition I also got some experience of helping Neville Rae, a GSA graduate with two projects. The first was helping with an exhibition in Cumbernauld Town Centre in the vacant shops and the second was a mural painting on an underpass in Greenfaulds. From both I got an idea of how it feels to recieve comments and talk with the public about an art project. I realised that people are much more accepting of art projects than I imagined. From the mural painting I had some particularly impressive experiences. The first was from the act of physically changing a familiar landscape and the realisation that a built environment is not a prescribed certainty, but a changeable and malleable place. My interest in creating work within a specific town has been developed and strengthened by this. The second impression was from watching the way the mural painting was made in conjunction with school children. This was done to reduce the likelihood of the mural being defaced and, though I doubt that intention will succeed, I think the idea of using art to create a pride in a landscape for a community is very important. In particular teaching children that they have the potential to change their home town to be the place that they want it to be.

No comments: